Quality Improvement Initiatives
Pediatric Health Network (PHN) offers quality improvement initiatives for practices in our clinically integrated network with the support of Children’s National Hospital. Guided by the Institute for Health Improvement (IHI) Model for Improvement, PHN uses a data-driven approach to create and sustain a culture of quality improvement across the network. The quality improvement initiatives foster a collaborative learning community focused on improving the health of children in the region. The quality improvement work of the PHN is complemented by the institutional culture of quality that is sustained by the Quality and Safety Program at Children’s National Hospital.
Practices will leverage data to drive improved health outcomes for its patient population, while increasing value and patient and practice team satisfaction.
Adolescent Care Initiative
Implementing AAP Recommendations at Adolescent and Young Adult Well-Child Visits
PHN is offering its members a learning collaborative on AAP recommended elements of well-child visits for adolescent and young adult patients, focusing on immunizations, mental health screeners, and Social Determinants of Health screeners. These AAP recommendations have been incentivized under Value-Based Care contracts with multiple payors.
This Quality Improvement project will be driven by chart reviews, and providers who treat adolescents in the primary care setting will be eligible for MOC Part 4 credit. We will address office strategies and workflows, as well as coding to ensure compensation. The project will run from March 15, 2022 to November 1, 2022.
- This population (11- to 21-year-olds) has the lowest rate of primary care use in the US
- Face unique barriers to care and have unique health needs
- Mental health crisis, exacerbated by pandemic (AAP)*
- Emergency Department visits for mental health emergencies rose 31% for children ages 12-17 years between March and October 2020*
- Emergency Department visits for suspected suicide attempts increased nearly 51% among girls ages 12-17 years in early 2021 compared to the same period in 2019*
- Optimize Patient Care: Improve rates of specified AAP recommendations for Well-Child Visits in Adolescent and Young Adult patients.
- Documentation and Billing: Develop educational settings to assist practices in effectively documenting and billing for screeners performed.
- Provider Education: Develop current, evidenced-based training to address health issues commonly encountered in AYA patients.
- Resources: Develop resources for the practice care team to optimize care for AYA patients.
All our presentations are recorded, and the supplemental handouts and guidelines are available for your reference below.
Adolescent Care Initiative
Addressing Food Insecurity in Pediatric Primary Care: Novel Strategies to Optimize Screening, Coding, and Billing
Presented by: Kofi D. Essel, MD, MPH; Sarah C DeSilvey, DNP, FNP-C
- Addressing Food Insecurity in Pediatric Primary Care: Novel Strategies to Optimize Screening, Coding, and Billing Presentation Slides (PDF)
July 12, 2022
Increasing the Rate of HPV Vaccinations in the Primary Care Setting
Presented by: Alexandra Brugler Yonts, MD; Kathleen Kadow, MD
May 25, 2022
February 15, 2022
Implementing AAP Recommendations at Adolescent and Young Adult Well-Child Visits: A PHN Quality Initiative
Advancing Asthma Care
October 26, 2021
Empowering Your Teens: Asthma Updates and Management
Presenter: Eduardo Fox, MD; Shilpa Patel, MD, MPH
July 27, 2021
Future of Pediatrics 2021 Series: Navigating a World with Asthma – Parent Advisory Panel
Presenter: Candice Dawes, MD, and Parent Advisory Panel
This presentation was part of our Future of Pediatrics 2021 virtual series. To view recordings from the entire series please click here.
May 11, 2021
Educational Webinar #3: Social and Environmental Disparities Affecting Asthma Outcomes in the DMV Region
March 9, 2021
Educational Webinar #2: When to Refer to Pulmonary and Allergy, Asthma Self-Management Education, and Asthma Telehealth Visits
January 12, 2021
Educational Webinar #1: Review of NHLBI Guidelines and Coding & Billing for Asthma Services
- Asthma Initiative Educational Webinar #1 PowerPoint Slides (pptx)
- Please view additional resources on our Advancing Asthma Care Toolbox page (link)
December 15, 2020